Written by Godfrey AKON

2018 UTME: Adamu visits JAMB centers, lauds preparations

 

As registration for the March 7, 2018 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, UTME, ended last Sunday, the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, JAMB, has been lauded for satisfactory preparation for the exercise.

Minister of Education, Malam Adamu Adamu, gave the commendation in Abuja after a tour of facilities in JAMB centers at Global Distance Learning Institute, Central Business District and Digital Bridge Institute, Jabi.

The minister, who was accompanied by JAMB’s Registrar, Prof Ishaq Oloyede, said the two centers visited were all functioning well, urging candidates to properly utilize the facilities for their examination. 

“Well, I have just been to two centers today and I think they are all functioning very well; I am just very happy with what I have seen. I am satisfied just as the students themselves are satisfied.

“My message to students is that they should come and use the facilities here and I hope they are computer literate, if they are they probably don’t need the help of the [people they will find there,” he said.

Our correspondent gathered that unlike the chaotic situation that characterized JAMB registration in different parts of the country last year, the centers were more orderly with little or no complaints from candidates; though it was not clear if the same situation was observed in other parts of the country

JAMB had extended registration for UTME to midnight of last Sunday 11 February, 2018 to accommodate candidates who failed to register between the two months window period that ended at midnight of Tuesday, 6th February, 2018.

The board, in a statement by its Head of Information, Dr. Fabian Benjamin, said registration for direct entry candidates continues.

The exam body advised candidates to use the period to complete their registration as request for further extension would not be entertained.

“JAMB as a responsive organization has taken the decision albeit with great hesitation to accommodate candidates who failed to register between the two months window period that ended at midnight of Tuesday, 6th February, 2018.

 “The failure of these candidates to register is unfortunate and the board hastens to add that this culture of impunity will not be tolerated and indeed penalty may be imposed for late registration in future.

“UTME candidates are therefore strongly advised to take advantage of the extension to register as request for further extension would not be entertained,” the statement read.

Search

Latest posts

PhotoFG, ASUU fail to agree as strike persists

As the strike action embarked upon by the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, enters its second week, effort by the federal government to n [...]

16 November 2018

PhotoKiller beans: SON to sensitise Nigerians on preservation codes

Following the shocking discovery of the use of pesticide for the preservation of beans by some vendors in parts of the country, the Standards Organ [...]

14 November 2018