Written by Sarah NEGEDU

Covid-19: FCTA denies death of 20 health workers

The FCT Administration has debunked media reports that 20 medical doctors may have lost their lives to complications from the Corona virus, insisting that only 4 doctors had actually succumbed to the virus since it was first recorded in the territory in March 2020.

 

 

 

 

 

The FCTA in a statement by its Chief Press Secretary, Mr. Anthony Ogunleye, clarified that the figures published in sections of the media were actually national figure cutting across the 36 States of the Federation and not just the FCT alone.

 

 

 

While regretting the deaths so far recorded, the administration further explained that a total of 476 health workers including doctors, nurses, pharmacists, laboratory staff, drivers and other auxillary personnel have been infected by the virus.

 

 

 

 

Ogunleye also debunked reports that FCT hospitals were currently rendering skeletal services due to the death of medical doctors from COVID-19 insisting that, "This figure which is very far from the truth was credited to Dr Enemo Amadu, the President of the FCT chapter of the Nigerian Medical Association.

 

 

"Although Dr Amadou has since said that he was misquoted, as the 20 fatalities he gave was the national figure cutting across the 36 States of the Federation and the FCT. it is still pertinent that the FCTA sets the records straight in view of the fact public confidence in public health institutions is very essential in the face of the current public health emergency orchestrated by COVID-19."

 

 

 

He said all FCT hospitals are operating at full capacity inclusive of emergencies for adults and children, delivery and maternity services, theatre services (operating 24 hour services), laboratory and pharmaceutical services, and hospital kitchens. All clinics will resume full services after the Christmas holidays on Tuesday, 29th of December, 2020.

 

 

While there had been incidences where COVID-19 positive patients had infected some medical personnel, these personnel and indeed the patients have been treated and discharged and the affected hospital areas fully decontaminated without any adverse effect on the overall functionality of the hospitals.

 

 

 

"It is important to mention that these fatalities have not in any way adversely affected the quality of services rendered in these hospitals and most certainly not to the point of rendering skeletal services."

 

 

The administration said a lot of emphasis is currently being placed on the treatment of an expected rise in the number of high intensity patients who might need more intensive care, assuring that the medical personnel will continue to take all precautionary measures in the treatment of COVI-10 patents.

 

 

The administration therefore enjoined residents of the territory to observe all health and safety protocols to contain the spread of the virus by observing physical distancing, frequent hand washing and facial coverings.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Search

Latest posts

PhotoFG disburses cash grant of N20,000 to 3000 women in Kogi

No fewer than 3000 Women in Kogi State will be benefitting from the N20,00 cash grant initiated by the President Muhammadu Buhari-led Feder [...]

03 March 2021

Photo2020 admissions: tertiary institutions set June 15 deadline

Heads of tertiary institutions in Nigeria have set June 15, 2021 as deadline for all admissions into tertiary institutions for the 2020/2021 Academ [...]

01 March 2021